as we transition from the earth element of late summer to the metal element of fall, it’s important to a little extra care to feel balanced and enjoy the bounty that autumn brings.
below are a few ideas of how to stay healthy and well during this season of cool winds, rustling leaves and giving thanks.
- Try to fall asleep earlier so you’re getting at least 7-8 solid hours of rest
- You might begin waking earlier – it’s common and beneficial to align with the Lung + Large Intestine’s peak hours around 5am
- While laying in bed, practice easeful diaphragmatic breathing + allow your mind to focus on the breath
- Consider meditation – starting with 5 minutes a day + increase time as it feels right
- Swap salads and raw foods for warm, nourishing meals (see fall*ing post post for ideas)
- Increase your intake of Vitamin C and probiotics to strengthen your immune system
- Keep hydrated – water, teas and soups!
- Prevent the spread of viruses by washing hands often and well – at least 20 seconds per wash
- Keep sinuses clear and support immunity by rocking that neti pot (with a balanced salt water solution)
- Walk through woods, pick apples, hike a mountain – give it up for nature
- Love on that neck of yours – wear a scarf! The neck is the most vulnerable area of the body susceptible to invasions of wind and cold
- Enjoy hot showers on chilly days + keep warm and dry
- support the immune system by massaging beneath the ear lobes, below the occiput, along the neck and at the armpits (to promote lymph drainage)
- Protect your lung Qi by stimulating LU7 on both wrists for about 30 seconds a few times/day. Stimulating LU7 helps relieve a stiff neck, headaches, migraines, coughing and sore throat, and, increases brain circulation
- Watch for the first signs of a flu (fatigue, headache, stiff neck, sinus congestion, sneezing, fuzzy thinking, general malaise, etc.) and take rest
- If you’re feeling a little cold and achy, rest the back of your head and neck on a not-too-hot water bottle for 20-30 minutes
- At the first signs of a cold or flu, sip an immune-boosting ginger-scallion tea
- Consider adding 3 drops of dietary grade oregano oil to warm water, and drink 3 times per day for a few days to support the immune system
Our ability to tend our special needs in Autumn will not only keep us healthy during the next few months but will also ensure a harmonious transition into Winter.